A conviction for a domestic violence charge can have serious consequences including mandatory jail time, probation and losing your right to own a firearm. A skilled and experienced attorney will fight for your defense and your freedom.
In Tennessee, the laws state that a domestic assault occurs if the assault occurs against a "domestic abuse victim."
A domestic abuse victim is anyone that falls under these categories:
(1) Adults or minors who are current or former spouses;
(2) Adults or minors who live together or who have lived together;
(3) Adults or minors who are dating or who have dated or who have or had a sexual relationship, but does not include fraternization between two (2) individuals in a business or social context;
(4) Adults or minors related by blood or adoption;
(5) Adults or minors who are related or were formerly related by marriage; or
(6) Adult or minor children of a person in a relationship that is described in subdivisions (a)(1)-(5).
The penalties for domestic assault increase depending on the defendant's prior convictions. Under certain circumstances, domestic assault can be prosecuted as a Class E felony punishable by a minimum of 90 days in jail and a maximum of six years in prison. In addition to potential mandatory jail time, if convicted of a domestic assault, the judge will order the defendant to terminate possession of all firearms. Further, it is likely the court will order the defendant to participate in a costly and time-consuming batterer's intervention program, possibly an alcohol and drug assessment and recommended treatment and drug and alcohol testing. Further, defendants sentenced to mandatory jail time under this statute must serve their sentences day for day.
Speak with an experienced Nashville domestic assault defense lawyer about your case today. Silva Law represents clients in Nashville and the Middle Tennessee area in sessions court and in criminal court for negotiations, motions to suppress and trials. We promise to never stop fighting to you. Silva law offers in-custody visits. To make an appointment with an experienced defense attorney, call 615-258-5541 or email email@example.com.
This website is for informational purposes only. Using this site or communicating with Silva Law Group through this site does not form an attorney/client relationship. This site is legal advertising.
Copyright © 2018 LawLawyerTemplate - All Rights Reserved.